How to become a Motion Graphics Designer ? [Few points that I used to follow;-) ]
How to become a motion graphics designer is just a catchy line to attract beginners, actually there is no such rules and regulations to become a designer. You just have to love design and work towards it. Still I have found few tips to refine our skill and deliver a good creative product.
1. Have a color palate – every color says something, gives a specific feel towards the animation . so choosing a good color combination is very important for a designer whether it is motion or static graphics. First need to understand the theme. as for example, if the bumper or promo graphics is sports related, we need to think about fresh color or vibrant one , though it is not necessary every time to follow the rule as I said there is no rule to become a motion designer. But need to keep in mind of good colour combination which can go with the theme. below is a link that I have found on net which explains the meaning of colors
2. Understand the contrast – contrast of size, colour and shape. the meaning of contrast in dictionary is “the state of being strikingly different from something else in juxtaposition or close association.” We have already talked about color contrast and combination. Now we need to take care of shapes and sizes. while we place more than one picture or elements , either they should be different in sizes or positions or shapes and a Strong differences between light and dark, or minimal.too many similar shapes and sizes can make your creation boring.
3. Understand the canvas – Motion graphics animation is an experimental process. to tell a story you take help of various animation mathode like stop motion, cell animation, quelling, mix media etc. So once you understand the canvas that what kind of style you want to take, your thinking process would follow the required procedure.
4. Composition – composition is the placement or arrangement of visual elements or ingredients in a work of art, as distinct from the subject of a work. a symmetrical arrangement looks good on canvas but it can be any arrangements that’s look good to your eye. here are few examples of a good composition.
5. Understand the Story not tools – there are numerous software, plugins and methods are being invented and applied everyday. Amazing tools to create spectacular effects for your animation. But always remember, the tools are not as important as telling the story. Work with what you have access to, and use it to tell a great story. Focus on the design,message and communication.Understand and focus on what you want to show, it doesnt matter if your tools allow you to do it or not.
6. Try different and dramatic angle – Think from different and dynamic angles for your animation to put more drama in your stuff. Take your camera from different angles, makes it more interesting . Here are some example of dramatic angles .
7. Use of proper fonts – serif or sans serif? hand written or comic sans? there are lots of confusion to choose a proper font. to solve this problem, I would suggest to keep your eyes on typographic references . Also we need to understand the theme of the animation and choose our fonts wisely. here are some typographic links to follow http://ilovetypography.com http://www.typographyserved.com
8. Understand the nitty-gritty – The last part of an animated motion graphic product is detailing, one lens flare or little particles can boost your animation. So we need to take care of practical details of a subject or situation.
9. Audio visual impact – Sound is a vital ingredient of an animation. Either you work with sound or the sound will be put later on, one thing you should understand that the timing of an animation which can synchronize with sound properly.
10. Boundless attitude – Do your best in all your work.The Tools You Use are Secondary to Telling the Story.Never Stop Learning and continually improve your skills.Help your customers, peers and newcomers.The more people you help, the more successful you’ll be.
have I missed any point to explain? Please share your thoughts (and sorry for my English too 🙁 ) …
Hope this quick tips will help you to become an successful motion designer .
(P.S – I have used several external links of websites for my references, these are not created by me and I have used only references purpose.)