“Hello sir, here presenting my Ident concept for your brand .I hope these frames are able to convey your brands image… ”
Yes pals, I am talking about style frames in motion graphics. That you need to present to your client to get approval of animation and look before you start doing it.
Style frames are the key frame drawing of a motion graphics.
When you are working for your client on motion graphics animation such as Ident creation (logo Identity animation) or a promotion, teaser , opener video… it’s important to get the thought process clear of the end product . For that you need to present style frames .
It’s neither full fledged story boarding nor pre-viz animatics but it plays a vital role to clear the picture of the end product.
Every head supervisors ,clients or creative head’s brain is full of creative thoughts ( that’s what they thought of ;-)) and they want to be sure about end result and here comes style frames. Few style frames gives them the consolation that their product is gonna get an amazing look with sound and visual and comes to take them in confidence.
In adverting and films it is mandatory to make full final story boarding before go to the shooting floor. In motion graphics , we also make step by step style frames to convey the idea of actual look and feel.
This can be minimal or frame by frame depending upon the client .But style frames are important and mandatory to learn for every motion graphics artist .
So how would u make style frames ? Here are my few tips :
- 1.Create a story line or concept of your animation : how do u get the concept? Hmm that’s really depends on personal observation, thoughts, imagination and Of course referencing . But first know about the brand , their vision , viewersip and people.
- 2.Scribble the idea on paper : take a pencil, an eraser or grab your wacom pad … Start scribbling the thoughts . Think about the elements which relates the brand, is it a film production house? Is it a food channel? Or a butcher shop? Get the elements and incorporate with your design.
- 3.Make a rough storyboard : arrange your thoughts …How would be the first frame? What would be the camera position while revealing the logo? How complicated or minimal it should be? All depending upon you. I only can show you the path ☺
- 4.Draw key frames on paper or digital : now is the time to put it on canvas , arrange it and make a story out of your frames. You can use software such as adobe illustrator or Photoshop, 3d max or c4d to create 3d elements , after effects to combine them… Whatever the software u use is not matter but your frames should look good !
- 5.Fill with color and choose such color combination that goes with the theme : paint your sky with your imagination . It’s important to understand the brands image and then decide the color . There can be several color option for the same to give client more options to choose from.
- 6. Write proper description of animation beside those images : Though it is a small story board , if you want to make only important key frames as style frame, you need to describe about the whole animation. Such as camera movement , lighting , special effects etc.
There are lot of examples are there in internet, dig it , google it , think how it would be different from others ? and you will get the idea of making perfect style frames that would amaze the client .
Hope this article would help you to dive in the sea of motion graphics. Please share , comment and spread love.
Happy designing !