Cartoon Network Studios Launches Initiative to Discover New Artists
Cartoon Network Studios (CNS) and Baltimore-based animation studio, Outlook Company, are joining forces on a new content development initiative designed to discover emerging artists and storytellers. The program is based on Outlook’s recently formed animated projects incubator, Neru Projects and is initially launching with six local participants.
Creative executives from CNS and Neru Projects will guide participants in the process of idea development, from concept to pitch, and through to creation of a series bible. The platform teaches the process of collaboration with creative partners, and how to develop and package original animated series ideas. At least one project will be selected to begin formal development at Cartoon Network Studios and Outlook Company.
“This is a great way for Baltimore artists to have their work seen, considered, and given professional animated content feedback,” shared Outlook Company CEO Trevor Pryce. It is an invaluable experience, as there are now six more professional, credited animation show creators in this part of the world.”
“Elevating original and diverse creative voices is one of our top priorities at Cartoon Network Studios,” added Sam Register, president, Cartoon Network Studios and Warner Bros. Animation. “Outlook Company’s mission to working with artists from underrepresented communities make them a perfect partner and I look forward to the work ahead with Trevor and the amazing group of creators he has assembled.”
Six creatives representing diversity in race, gender, and age have been selected to participate:
- Briana Bolden – A young storyteller from Delaware, who “believes that cartoons are important as a way to not let go of her imagination.”
- Jared Allen – Animator, artist, and recent graduate from The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD).
- Rebecca Stern – A high functioning Autism Spectrum artist who has always dreamed of telling stories on Cartoon Network.
- Chiêu Anh Urban – Veteran children’s book author born in Saigon, Vietnam.
- Marina Khatin – Young animator currently working at Outlook OVFX.
- Stephen Church – A 16-year-old high schooler based in Baltimore with “a wild imagination and an upcoming rap album.”
Source: Cartoon Network Studios
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.