Mathematic has just shared with AWN their work creating the sci-fi world of futuristic humanoid robots, adrenaline-charged auto racing, and a spectacular, fatal crash for Pink Noise’s new animated music video, Sky Cry. Directed by Kim Chapiron and co-produced by Mathematic, Phantasm, Quiet, and Viral, the music video introduces audiences to Crashtag, the crash test dummy hero character and the world’s first robot influencer that’s already gaining an early following on Instagram.
Co-director and CG Supervisor Jehan Bouazza led Mathematic’s team of artists on the nine-month production, developing the modern music video world, solidifying a unique character design for Crashtag, and managing a high volume of assets required to create the racetrack arena. Lead Character Artist Camille Gurruchaga oversaw the creation of Crashtag, crafting the character’s background story and psychological profile to inform design decisions, while concept artists simultaneously developed the look of the environments, including the racetrack and larger arena.
Once lookdev was complete, the team produced the five-minute animated sequence, using Zbrush for modeling, Maya for animation, Substance Painter for textures, Nuke and Flame for compositing, Resolve for color grading, and Arnold for the final render.
To bring the anthropomorphic Crashtag character to life, Mathematic motion captured a performance by Ladj Ly, the acclaimed French director of the 2019 film Les Misérables. Ly’s performance imprinted humanlike qualities – including a distinct personality and authentic emotion – on Crashtag, making the character a relatable protagonist in a dystopian android world.
Take a few minutes to enjoy Sky Cry:
Mathematic is a creative studio specializing in high end CG and visual effects, and has worked on award-winning campaigns for advertising clients like Cartier, Yves Saint Laurent, Nike, and Lancome, and music videos for artists that include The Weeknd, Lil Nas X, Beck, Rita Ora, Coldplay, and Dua Lipa.
- Directors: Kim Chapiron and Jehan Bouazza
- Produced By: Mathematic, Phantasm, Quiet, and Viral
- Executive Producer: Guillaume Marien
- CG Supervisor: Jehan Bouazza
- Post Producer: Jérémy Dumètre
- Montage: Margerie Argentin and Benjamin Weil
- Layout / Previs: Valentin Soulard and Xavier Zahra
- Character Concept / Lead Character: Camille Gurruchaga
- Concept Artist: Sebastien Hue and Dofresh
- Environment Artist: Gregory Ginsburger, Yann Glica, and François Heysen
- Rig: Beastmaker
- Mocap: Mocaplab
- Houdini Artist: Olivier Colchen, Maxime Delsart, and Thomas Van Maele
- Crowd: Thomas Van Maele
- Compositing: Fabien Delavous, Nicolas Derory, Pierre Herzig, and Anthony Lyant
- Flame: Olivier Zibret
- Animations: Cyril Cassaigne and Ornella Luzzi
- 3D Lead / Environment Lead: Yann Glica
- Lighting Artist: Axel Alvarez, Jordan Lorcet, Yann Glica, François Heysen, and Victor Martinez
- Grading: Emiliano Serantoni
Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.